The first MC15 Race Night was held on 14th August at The Lord Nelson in Morecambe. The Organising Committee has been hard at work since the week after the 2014 carnival planning a bigger, better event for everyone. The MC15 Race Night was the first of many fund-raising events that the Morecambe Carnival team will be holding over the next 8 months to ensure we have all the funds we need to see the plans for MC15 are a success!
The event was indeed a huge success with £1818 raised for the 2015 Morecambe Carnival fund. Along with a very generous £300 donation from The Bay’s Summer of Difference campaign. A massive thank you to the great crowd who turned out at The Lord Nelson for the evening and dug deep betting on the races and entering our prize raffle.
The event could not have been a success with the generous support of the Morecambe Carnival’s supporters and partners. A huge thank you goes to The Bay for sponsoring the event and advertising the event on air, R-Leisure for the generous donation of the race night equipment, Go Morecambe for organising the event itself and Workshop Media for producing the race night programmes.
Along with a great showing from the public the MC15 Team were also joined and supported at Race Night by a number of Morecambe Town Councillors who have continued to show their support for The Morecambe Carnival as well as other great Festivals and Events held in the town.
Each of the nine races were sponsored by businesses from throughout Morecambe in a great show of community spirit.
- Race 1 – The Town and Country Handicap sponsored by Town and Country Event Solutions won by Black Daughter.
- Race 2 – The Burger Race sponsored by JB’s Catering won by Crispy.
- Race 3 – The Morecambe Mile sponsored by Thornton Lodge Residential Care Home won by Ballyleck Adam.
- Race 4 – The Bet Your Mortgage Stakes sponsored by Aqua Engineering won by Blue Nose.
- Race 5 – The Heysham Gold Cup sponsored by Fernbank Lodge Residential Care Home won by Archers Delight.
- Race 6 – The Alder Hey Race sponsored by MMX Events won by Willful Rouge.
- Race 7 – The Muff & Dive Inn Stakes sponsored by The Berkeley Guest House won by Kerswell Knock Knees.
- Race 8 – The ICU Derby sponsored by carnival partners ICU Security won by White Devil.
- Race 9 – The Mally Nicholson Memorial Cup sponsored by The Berkeley Guest House won by Stinker.
The 9th race of the evening – The Mally Nicholson Memorial Cup was a special race where each of the horses was auctioned off on the night. The winning owner, Darren Mills of The Canal Turn in Carnforth, won £350 from the race and in another great show of community spirit donated £100 straight back to the carnival fund. The Mally Nicholson Memorial Cup will return at the next MC15 Race Night.
We hope to see everyone there again as well as some fresh races ready to dig deep for the Morecambe Carnival. Look out on our Facebook Page for details of the next MC15 Race Night as well an many other opportunities to support and be a part of the The Morecambe Carnival.The Bay for info on more Festivals and Events coming soon. [/thumbsupbox]